Ever get frustrated with your home? You’re just not feeling the love and creativity, right? Well, maybe it’s time to douse that flame and start over. If you’re looking for some new ideas on how to cosy up your living space, consider these 40 DIY interior design ideas for small houses on a budget. Small rooms can be tough to decorate, but this list of tips will help you add style without spending a fortune! And hey, if you don’t like one of our ideas, we’ve got plenty more!
Whether you’re a fan of floral décor or prefer to keep it neutral, there’s something for everyone in this list. Enjoy!
40 DIY designs that you can try
- Use natural materials like wood and stone to create a cosy and relaxing look.
- Add pops of color with bright prints or bold patterns.
- Make use of natural lighting to create a warm and inviting atmosphere.
- Minimize clutter by using sleek and modern furniture pieces.
- opt for low-cost accents like natural plants or vintage finds.
- Hang art pieces that add personality and beauty to the space.
- Organize your belongings using clever containers or minimalist shelves.
- Install a comfortable chair in an out-of-the-way corner of the room for reading or relaxing moments.
- Create an intimate space by arranging candles and soft blankets on the bed.
- Install a floor-to-ceiling window to let in natural light and enjoy beautiful views from inside your home too!
- Consider the size and shape of your home for your dream bedroom layout.
- Make sure you have enough space for a comfortable bed or love seat that invites conversation.
- Decorate with complementary colours to bring balance and harmony to the room.
- Use lighting in soft tones and try to bring in a few natural light sources into the room as well, if possible!
- Select furniture pieces that fit your personality, style and color scheme so they can be used year after year!
- Hang some colorful paintings on the walls to brighten up your living room.
- If you have an empty wall in your living room or bedroom, consider installing a colorful curtain or wall mural.
- Update your outdated furniture with new, affordable pieces.
- Update your appliances and fixtures with new, more stylish versions.
- Install inexpensive flooring such as linoleum or hardwood and add some decorative accents.
- Upcycle old furniture into new pieces by painting it or adding new hardware and decals.
- Transform an unused corner of your home into a storage area by installing a bookshelf and cabinet combo.
- Install artificial plants in empty corners of rooms to give them life and visual interest.
- Start with a neutral color palette and use pops of color to add excitement.
- Mix traditional and modern elements to create a unique look.
- Create focal points with bold furniture and artwork.
- Use lighting to create atmosphere and focus attention on key areas of the room.
- Choose accessories that coordinate with your main furniture pieces and create an unified look for your space.
- Use plants to add life and nature to your home décor.
- Install low-cost ceiling fans or invest in an oscillating fan for cool breezes throughout the house during hotter months.
- Consider using inexpensive upholstery or bedding to spruce up old furniture pieces or make new additions more comfortable and affordable.
- Hang curtains or drapes to block out harsh light or sun during the day while allowing natural light
- Create a cottage feel with antique furniture and linens.
- choose flooring that is both practical and stylish, like tile or wood laminate.
- Make use of storage spaces by installing shelves and drawers.
- Keep things simple by using bold colours and patterns throughout the house.
- Try out different layouts to find the one that works best for your home’s space.
- Install inexpensive accent pieces like plants or art work to add personality to your space.
- Consider using furniture that is adjustable or modular in order to make customizing it easier down the road.
- Use modern furnishings such as sleek side tables or comfortable chairs that can double as extra seating when needed.
Interior design ideas for small houses in budget can be found by taking into account the following: first, think about the overall theme of the house; secondly, what are your budget limitations? Thirdly, what are your preferences? Fourthly, what is available in your area? Fifthly, take a look at other people’s designs to get inspiration. Finally, create a plan and start creating!